Tuesday, January 20, 2009

i felt love...i mean i love felt

Felt is cool again. In the 70's, my mom would embroider felt designs on the back of my jean jackets and my grandmother made the coolest purple and orange Christmas stockings from felt. (you have no idea how I would kill to still have my jean jacket with the huge butterfly on the back) Felt is everywhere in Scrapbooking aisles and one stop at Esty shops confirms it all. I love this shop and this one too!
I decided to put my new sewing machine to use (besides stitching on layouts!) and make Christmas presents for my little guys. I reviewed this tutorial and got started with my own patterns.
Here is my first attempt at felt monsters:






They turned out pretty cute and the boys love them.
(Note: remind children not to leave toys on floor where little puggies can chew them. The red monster has a few minor wounds but Frank was REALLY sorry about it afterwards.)
Cooper loved his so much he actually found a few other patterns he would like me to make for him. (not kidding that my 6 year old can navigate a website and find this stuff on his own.)
Just what every child needs - a Lightsaber Cozy!

or a Bantha for his guys to ride.

or even a Yoda felt doll.
















for those of you who don't live your life by the power of the force - here's a cute Hello Kitty tutorial.

Have fun! Laina

5 comments:

pickmepam said...

OMG! i love the felt monsters you made! i was wondering what happened to the red guy, but a pug would explain it!
i saw some amazing felt pillows at halloween and still plan on making them!
i'm glad to see you're putting that sewing machine to good use!

Jewel said...

Those felt monsters are absolutely adorable! I CANNOT show my son the light saber cozy or yoda doll as I will be forced to buy a sewing machine. The force is alive and strong in our house.

I don't know what it is about felt but I love it too. I bought a ton of it recently but haven't touched it yet since I don't sew.

P.S. Congrats Laina on not one but TWO layouts in the Feb. CK mag! You rock girl.

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Those monsters are adorable! I love what you can do with felt and need to play more with my sewing machine!

Stacey said...

so cute.....i heart felt too!

Erica said...

I love felt too! Lately I have gotten into needle felting and it is SO much fun. Cute monsters! I have an etsy store that has a few felt items and some other stuff...there is a link to it on my blog if you are interested,